After the apocalypse, there will be no Starbucks.
Hello everyone, Rob Raskin of Las Vegas here again, and this week I want to talk to you about coffee. I like my coffee the way I like my women: able to survive the apocalypse, lol. All jokes aside, your survival is no laughing matter. There are many reasons coffee should be up near the top of your supply list. If you haven’t already stockpiled coffee, you will once you’ve read this article.
Did you know coffee can help you live through TEOTWAWKI? The United States military gives soldiers coffee to keep them awake. Troops have to stay alert, and this often means being ready to fight at a moment’s notice with very little sleep. This will also describe you after the collapse of civilization. If you want to remain awake and alert in tough conditions, coffee is the way to do it.
Our country’s love affair with coffee goes back to the American Revolutionary War, when we collectively decided to hate tea. With the Civil War came a new invention—instant coffee. As long as we’ve been drinking coffee, we’ve been dreaming of new ways to serve it. After a catastrophic event that takes the power grid down, we’ll have to go back to the basics.
One problem with coffee is you can’t grow your own if you live on the mainland United States. The only state you can grow coffee in is Hawaii as it’s the only one that has the climate the beans need to thrive. If you want to have your morning cup of Joe no matter what kind of morning you’re waking up to, even one in a barren wasteland, you’ll need to stockpile as much of it as you can. Just make sure you use proper storage techniques so it doesn’t go bad.
The Benefits of Coffee
Want to learn more about the benefits of coffee for survival? Read this list and get the information you’re looking for.
- Coffee forces you to sit and take a break. This is an excellent time to plan and strategize before you find yourself in a situation where you have to act on pure instinct.
- Sharing a cup of coffee is a great way to get a new relationship off on the right foot. When you are in a survival situation, your chances are better if you’re part of a group.
- Coffee is likely to be more valuable than many other staples in a bartering situation. With no banks, money will be worthless, so you’ll need something to trade. Coffee is something everyone will want.
- Offering a hot cup of coffee is also a good idea if you encounter someone unexpectedly. It shows that you are not a threat and you’re willing to work cooperatively.
- In a survival situation, a hot cup of coffee can feel like a luxury. On a cold day you’ll be glad to have it, and on a freezing day it’ll help you keep warm to stay alive.
- According to the Journal of Pain Medicine, drinking coffee can cut your post-workout pain by as much as 48%. Think of how sore you’ll be after hiking for days and building your own shelter at night. How good would that cup of coffee be afterward?
- Coffee has proven health benefits. Your health is your survival, because if you don’t stay healthy you’ll be doomed. Numerous studies have shown coffee to protect the liver from cirrhosis, to lower the risk of type II diabetes, and to lower your risk of Alzheimer’s.
- When you need to move fast, you can’t afford to be slowed down by poor digestion. A single cup of coffee will give you as much as 1.8 of the 20 to 38 daily grams of fiber your digestive system needs for optimal functioning.
- You’ll need to distill the water if you want the best coffee flavor, and the distillation process can remove harmful contaminants. Boiling the water can also remove contaminants. Even if you don’t
By now you’re probably ready to order a ton of coffee beans and instant coffee by the case! There are numerous wholesalers online that will allow you to do just that, including DrivenCoffee.com, Kaldi.com, and SagebrushCoffee.com, to name just a few. You can find bulk instant coffee at Costco and other warehouse retail outlets.
This article is Part One of a three-part series. Check in again next week to read my follow-up article about ways you can make coffee without any beans. Believe it or not, it’s possible, and I’m going to tell you how. In Part Three of the series, I’ll go more into-depth about how to store your coffee and how to brew the perfect cup in the wild.
Learn more about your long-term coffee storage options.
You won’t believe how many ways survivalists can use coffee filters.